Monday, December 12, 2011

All He Does Is Win.



Well, he did it again. And this time, it was against my beloved Bears. And I have to admit, looking at it from the other end, it really sucks when you’re team gets “Tebow'ed.”
After watching the game, I sat in silence and wrecked my brain about how Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos can continue to do what they do in the 4th Quarter. I began speaking with my friend, Michael, who is also a diehard Bears fan. Michael, being the outspoken Christian that he is, credited the win to G-d. He explained to me and in a wonderfully written post that G-d rewards those who give praise to him and Tim Tebow is the opitome of faith.
Now, being the critical minded individual that I am, I’m not sure I buy into the idea that the big guy upstairs is wearing a Tebow jersey. I do believe however that Tim Tebow’s faith has a lot to do with his success. I believe that Tim Tebow believes that G-d has a plan for him that is greater than football and that win or lose, G-d will still love him. I believe it is this belief, that frees Tim Tebow from worry or doubt and allows him to turn into the otherworldly “force of competitive nature” that he is in the 4th Quarter—that’ll do for all the belief stuff for now.
Let’s look at the stats.
In the first 3 quarters, Tebow was 3/16 with a QB rating of 13. With that said, he had  three drops from Eric Decker and three drops from Demaryius Thomas. Tack those on and we’re looking at 9/16, which is not nearly as bad.
Then he gets intercepted on an incredibly acrobatic move by Peanut Tillman, but did that shake him? No. If you watched that game, you’d see Tebow actually ran over to Tillman and gave him props as the two laughed about it. In response to the pic, Tebow comes right back at Peanut the next drive and delivers a perfectly thrown toss to Demaryius Thomas that would have undeniably been a TD had he not dropped it.
4th Quarter.
With just under five minutes to go, the Broncos got the ball back and the clock finally struck Tebow Time. T-squared goes 7/7 on the drive, topping it off with a TD pass to Demaryius Thomas who was finally able to chip some of the cement off of his hands.
Even after the Broncos failed to get the onside kick back, I knew that unfortunately, it was far from over.
The Broncos D comes up with a stop, Marion Barber runs out of bounds and before you know it, Tebow was back on the field leading the Donkeys down to set up a 59 yard field goal that may as well have been, and, probably was, blessed by G-d.

I knew it was over the second we went into OT.

It didn't matter that the Bears had won the toss. It didn't matter that Robbie Gould had just set a franchise record for the longest kick in Bears history. And it didn't matter that Caleb Hanie had finally put together a nice little drive to get us in field goal range, because it was/has been made clear over the last six weeks that there is some greater power working through Tebow and this Broncos team that simply will not allow them to lose. Call it will, call it faith, call it whatever the heck you want, all I know is, in the words of Skip Bayless, "All He Does Is Win."
 
DJ Porter: Tim Tebow - "All He Does Is Win" 


Final Fraze
The thing that makes me sick about all of this is that I found myself, to the slightest extent, pulling for him to do it. Even as a diehard Bears fan, I wanted to see if he could keep this magic going. And when he did, I wasn't even mad. Did I want my Bears to lose? Absolutely not. Do  I think this game would have had a different outcome had Cutty and Forte been active? Undeniably. But there is just something about this kid that makes you say, "Okay Tim, let's see what you got" and week after week, he continues to make even great defenses like the Chicago Bears eat their own words. On his last 3 drives, Tebow went 13-17 with 130 Pass, yes pass, yards and and helped the Broncos put 13 points on the board. He is always humble and refuses to accept "Tebow Time," and, as seen in his post game interview, merely refers to it as "Broncos Time." #TeamFirst. With a game against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots next week, it will be interesting to see if  he can continue pulling the rabbit out of his hat, but, at this point, who are we to say he can't? #BallerStatus  

2 comments:

  1. Very well said. I did not mean to say God is wearing a Tebow jersey (God is impartial). But God delights in that Tebow wears a Christ jersey. I think you nailed it when you said, "it is this belief, that frees Tim Tebow from worry or doubt and allows him to turn into the otherworldly “force of competitive nature.” That is exactly right. God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mikey! Much appreciated my dude... still up for grabs on if the big guy upstairs is reppin' a Tebow jersey, impartial or not. I don't even know how he'd obtain one, is there a gift shop in Heaven? If so, I bet they make you walk through it before you enter.

    ReplyDelete